Foods to combat aging
Posted on September 15 2015
So posts like this are gold :)
We all have stuff about our skin which we would like to change whether it is an aging, spots, acne etc... I have had issues with all :( but after heaps of research and self testing, i have come up with a list of foods that are really good for your skin especially to tackle aging. I will do a post for other skin issues later this week.
Firstly, whatever your skin issue may be, try starting your day with a big glass of warm water and a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar in it is doing your skin and body a big favor.. It may be a bit hard for you to take initially but you will get used to it. Try adding some honey if its too sour. This is soooo good for you. It is great for your digestive system. It cleans you up on the inside and is full of probiotics. Taking all that gunk out of your body so your system is cleansed and none of the gunk will effect you or your skin.
Now, have you ever seen people baking in the sun and noticed that their skin is full of wrinkles? This is due to a lack of hydration thanks to the sun drying out the skin! And skin damage by UV rays causes free radicals. This can be neutralized with antioxidants and I have listed them below. Basically, the sun can damage skin pretty badly so what we put in our bodies and on our skin is extremely important.
I have listed a few of my favorite foods down here that we should take to help address these aging skin issues. The most important thing is to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. Remember to use your Day Cream, Night Cream and Olive Leaf Rosehip Oil and incorporate the food below into your diet for great skin.
- Anti-aging - the key is to keep your skin hydrated both inside and out and to keep your diet low in sugar and high in anti-oxidants.
- Olive Oil is a great moisturizer inside and out. It has linoleic acid which prevents water from evaporating and is rich in vitamin E and A which creates a long lasting shield of moisture keeping skin smooth. It has also lots of different antioxidants which can neutralize the harmful effects of free radicals which age skin.Olive Oil (especially extra virgin olive oil) really should be a staple in your daily diet and your skin care regime.
- Flaxseed or flaxseed oil is great for softening skin and providing essential fatty acids. The best is to add some flaxseeds to your salads or oats or if you cannot find them, take a flaxseed capsule which is easily available at a pharmacy.
- Oats are really good for you. It is low in sugar unlike white rice and bread. Sugar is known to cause acne and wrinkles so best to stay away from this. Substitute breads and white rice with brown rice and oats. It also has natural plant chemicals which prevents skin cell damage and soothes irritation. Adding some berries to your oats is great too.
- Berries... ALL OF THEM. Berries are so good for you. The darker the better. Add them to your oats. Take a small container to work and have it with some yogurt... awesomeness. Blue berries, black berries, raspberries etc etc are high in Vitamin C which repairs skin and is high in antioxidants.
- Avocados.. yay for hydration. Fat = oil = hydration. Besides being rich in vitamin E and antioxidants, avocados are rich in fatty acids/ monounsaturated fats. This will help keep your skin hydrated and moisturized to keep wrinkles away. Add it to your salads, have it on your toast (like I do), make an awesome guac or even have a great avocado smoothie with yogurt.
- Fish oil/ Salmon/ Tuna/ Omega 3 fatty acids - besides being really good for you on the inside, his really makes you glow on the outside. This is fantastic for keep you skin cancer cells at bay and acts as a natural moisturizer.
These are my list of super foods for great skin and to tackle any anti aging issues you may have. Please do not forget to have heaps of water - 3 liters a day. This will keep you skin cells plumped up. Also, remember to moisturize everyday at least twice a day and use Olive Extract Rosehip Oil as i mentioned in my previous post.